Benefits: Contains numerous types of nutrients that are easy to absorb so they are perfect for colds, flus, GI upset, poor joint health, anemia, and advancing age. It is said that a good bone broth soup will bring the dead back to life. Some of the many nutrients include: calcium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur, iron, chondroitin, sulphates, glucosamine, and vitamins A, B, E and K.
Ingredients: The broth
- 2 organic beef bones: for the most flavor, pick bones with a little meat on them. The marrow of the bone reflects the health of the animal and this is a part of your soup, so make sure these come from a good farm.
- 2 thick cuts of bacon chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 3 carrots cut into large chunks
- 3 stalks of celery cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion cut into large chunks
- Olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 quarts cold of water
- 2 tablespoon vinegar (draws out the minerals from the bones)
Directions: The broth
- In a roasting pan, roast the meat and veggies tossed with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast till the bacon is browned.
- Add all the roasted ingredients to a large soup pot with the water. Bring all ingredients to a boil and then simmer for 6-8 hours.
- Cool enough to strain.
Ingredients: The soup
- 1 lb of Portuguese sausage or dry chorizo, into sliced into quarters lengthwise and then cut into thin slices.
- Beef broth from above recipe.
- 3-4 golden yukon gold potatoes
- 1 large bunch of collard greens. Stems removed and the leaf sliced thinly.
- 3 tablespoons of smoked paprika: can usually be found in a good bulk spice section
Directions: The soup
- Brown the meat till crisp on the edges
- Add beef broth and bring to a simmer
- Add potatoes and cook about half cooked then add the paprika and the collard green leaves. Cook until the collard greens are dark green and soft.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with warm fresh buttered bread or toast.
If you’re looking for Naturopathic, Holistic, and Alternative Health Care options come see us in the beautiful Fairhaven district in Bellingham, WA.