Most people think of medicine as coming in a little box with a complete list of interactions and warnings on the side. However, some of the most potent and effective remedies can be found no further than the kitchen cupboard. Having a list of home remedies that are easily prepared, effective, and cheap is a great way to take your family’s health care into your own hands. An oxymel is a mixture of honey, water, vinegar, and plant, boiled to a syrup. Garlic oxymel is great when used at the first signs of a cold or flu, so be sure to prepare this remedy ahead of time!
- 1 pint mason jar
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2/3 cup local honey*
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp of either; sage, lavender, rosemary, or thyme (optional)
- Add 2/3 cup of honey and vinegar to pint mason jar and mix well.
- Peel garlic cloves, smash them under the flat edge of a knife, and coarsely dice.
- Immediately put garlic (and any optional herbs) into honey/vinegar mix.
- Mix well, cap and set in a dark and cool area of the house for 2-3 weeks. Agitating the mixture daily will help the vinegar pull out more of the medicinal qualities of the garlic and herbs.
- Strain mixture and keep in the refrigerator.
Drink 1 tbsp diluted in a small amount of water in the morning for general cold/flu prevention. Drink 2-3 tbsp 2-3 times a day at the first signs of a cold/flu to facilitate its resolution. Oxymels may be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 year.
*do not give honey to children under 1 year old.